BISD takes a proactive approach to saving energy. By reducing our energy consumption, we are saving our precious resources. Listed below are a few guidelines that will help save energy.
- Utilize natural lighting where appropriate. Teachers should make certain that the lights are turned off when leaving their unoccupied classroom
- All outside lighting should be turned off during daylight hours.
- Gym, cafeteria and auditorium lights should not be on unless occupied.
- All lights should be turned off when students and teachers leave the school
- Custodians will turn on lights only in the areas in which they are working.
- All heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment should be off during unoccupied hours.
- Classroom windows and doors shall remain closed when HVAC equipment is operating.
- All vents shall remain clear of obstructions.
- Thermostats for heating should be set between 68˚-71˚ F.
- Thermostats for cooling should be set no lower than 73˚ F.
- All office machines (copiers, laminators, etc.) should be turned off every night and during unoccupied times. Fax machines should remain on.
- All computers should be programmed for energy saving modes.
- All classroom and lab computers, monitors, printers, scanners, and speakers should be off every night and when not in use. Network and server equipment are excluded.
- All refrigerators should be cleaned and shut down for winter, spring and summer breaks.