Teacher Incentive Allotment Overview
Rewarding Teacher Excellence in Texas
House Bill 3 (HB 3), 86th Legislature, included massive increases in teachers' pay. The Teacher Incentive Allotment (TIA) was established by HB 3 with the goal of effective classroom teachers earning a higher salary. TIA allotment funds help Texas school systems reward, retain, and recruit highly effective teachers. The funding formula prioritizes high needs and rural campuses.
HB 3 established the Teacher Incentive Allotment to recognize effective teachers on three different levels: Recognized, Exemplary, and Master. These teacher designations generate additional teacher-focused allotment funding for districts in order for them to reward their top performers.
Teachers earn designations through two different routes. First, National Board Certified (NBC) teachers are eligible to earn a Recognized designation, any certified teacher can work on NBC. Second, districts may designate their effective teachers when their local teacher designation system is approved. The approval process is multi-step and includes the submission of a system application to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and then a data validation process through Texas Tech University.
TIA builds upon the success of past national incentive programs while removing previous barriers to success.
An informational video about the Teacher Incentive Allotment:
Cohort E Timeline: Phase 1
- July 2021: BISD Local Designation System Development Phase 1 Plan Begins
- April 15, 2022: BISD Local Designation System Application Due to TEA
- April 25 - May 14:Texas Tech University Teacher Survey
- June 2022: Application Accepted from TEA regarding BISD Local Designation System
- August 2022 – June 2023: Data-Capture Year for BISD using Circle and MAP data
- August 2022: BISD Local Designation System Development Phase 2 Plan Begins
- April 2023: BISD Local Designation System Expansion Application for Phase 2 Due to TEA
- October 2023: Data and Teacher Designation recommendations due to Texas Tech University (TTU)
- Late February 2024: Final Approval and Notification from TEA and TTU
- April/May 2024: Final Designation and Allotment Notification
- September 2024: Initial Payout from TEA of TIA funds
Cohort F Timeline: Phase 2
- April 15, 2023: BISD Local Designation System Application Due to TEA: Phase 2: 6th and 7th Grade Sci- MAP
- July 2023: Application Accepted from TEA regarding BISD Local Designation System
- August 2023 – June 2024: Data-Capture Year for BISD using Circle and MAP data (Phase 1 and 2 Data Collection)
- October 2024: Data and Teacher Designation recommendations due to Texas Tech University (TTU)
- Late February 2025: Final Approval and Notification from TEA and TTU
- April/May 2025: Final Designation and Allotment Notification
- September 2025: Initial Payout from TEA of TIA funds
Frequently Asked Questions
When will other content areas be added to the BISD Local TIA Designation system?
Can a teacher exclude a student from their MAP or Circle testing data?
What is a designation?
What prompted the development of a designation system?
How is the TIA designation system being developed?
When will the BISD TIA local designation system be in place?
Who is eligible to earn a designation through a local designation system?
Who will decide whether or not a teacher is designated and at what level?
What if a designated teacher’s performance level changes within the five-year period?
What if a designated teacher moves to a non-teaching role, such as counselor?
What is National Board Certification and where can I find information about NCBT?
Helpful Links and Information:
BISD TIA Compensation Plan: Spending Plan
Texas Education Agency website: TIA State Website
Information for Texas Teachers: Texas Teachers
TEA TIA Allotment Funding MAP by Campus: TEA Interactive Funding Map
National Board Certification website: NBC Information
National Board Certification Fee Reimbursement: NBC Fee Reimbursement
For BISD Staff, you can find more information within the BISD Staff Portal, under the Teacher Incentive Allotment icon. The TIA icon contains surveys, informational videos, and other information. You will also find our TEA application and BISD Local Designation system scorecard.
If you have additional questions regarding Burleson ISD Teacher Incentive Allotment, please send an email to email@example.com .