Frequently Asked Questions
What schools of choice are available in Burleson ISD?
- Currently, the district offers:
- Elementary students: The Academy of the Arts at Bransom, Academy at Nola Dunn, Academy of Leadership and Technology at Mound, and STEAM Academy at Stribling.
- Middle school students: STEAM Middle School and REALM Secondary School will accept applications for grade 6, 7, and 8.
- High school students: Burleson Collegiate High School and REALM Secondary School (Accepting applications for grade 9 only)
How can I get more information about BISD schools of choice?
- More information is available on the BISD choice website
- Parents are also encouraged to follow “Burleson Independent School District” on Facebook or @BurlesonISD on Twitter.
How do we apply for a school of choice?
- Burleson Collegiate High School:
The applications are open November 2018, through February 26, 2019, for the 2019-20 school year.
REALM Secondary School (grade 9):
The application period will be open from February 19, 2019, through March 7, 2019, for the 2019-20 school year.
STEAM Middle School:
Parents may fill out an application online at choice.burlesonisd.net to be included in the lottery for a spot at STEAM Middle School. The application period opens on February 8, 2019, at 8:00 am and closes on February 19, 2019, at 10:00 am.
REALM (Grades 6-8):
Parents may fill out an application online at choice.burlesonisd.net to be included in the lottery for a spot at REALM. The application period opens on February 8, 2019, at 8:00 am and closes on February 19, 2019, at 10:00 am.
Elementary Schools of Choice (The Academy of the Arts at Bransom, Academy at Nola Dunn, Academy of Leadership and Technology at Mound, and STEAM Academy at Stribling):
Parents may fill out an application online at choice.burlesonisd.net to be included in the Elementary School of Choice lottery for grades kindergarten – 5th grade. Parents may select a first and second choice but are not required to choose more than one school. The application period opens on February 25, 2019, at 8:00 am and closes on March 8, 2019, at 10:00 am.
What information should parents know when applying online via choice.burlesonisd.net?
- Parents will be required to create an account in order to apply. The system requires a new account be created for each student applying. This is not the same as your Skyward account.
- When filling out the application for elementary schools of choice, there are questions for 1st and 2nd school of choice. You may select 1 or 2 choices depending on interest. The lottery is designed to prioritize by the level of choice in order to maximize the number of students that will be accepted to attend their first school of choice.
- When filling out the application for schools of choice for grades 6-8, there are options to apply to one or both schools of choice depending on interest.
My student currently is in 8th grade at REALM. Do they need to fill out an application for 9th grade at REALM?
- Yes. Moving from middle school to high school is an important event in our families’ lives. For this reason, students and families are asked to apply and then attend an in-person interview which will provide opportunities for questions and discussion of the four-year graduation plan.
May I apply for all elementary schools of choice?
- No. Each student can submit a single application for one or two schools of choice based on interest.
Is transportation provided?
- Elementary Schools of Choice: No transportation is provided. Students who attend an elementary school of choice through the application process will need to provide their own transportation to and from school.
- STEAM Middle School: A shuttle is provided from Hughes and Kerr Middle Schools. Students who are eligible for bus service may ride the bus to their zoned middle school and then ride the shuttle to STEAM Middle School.
- REALM Secondary School: A shuttle is provided to REALM. Students who are eligible for bus service may ride the bus to their zoned campus and then ride the shuttle to REALM.
- Burleson Collegiate High School: A shuttle is provided from Burleson High School. Students who are eligible for bus service may ride the bus to BHS and then ride the shuttle to BCHS. (BCHS is housed on the CHS campus, so students eligible for bus service to CHS may ride the bus to BCHS)
Do I need to stand in line to submit my child’s application?
- No. Burleson ISD’s application process is 100% online. You will need internet access to apply.
If I do not have internet access, how can I complete the online application?
- If you do not have access to the internet, please contact the Burleson ISD Administration Building at 817-245-1000 to make an appointment to use a computer to submit an application. The Burleson ISD Administration office is located at 1160 SW Wilshire Blvd.
What is required for me to apply?
- Internet access and an email address.
Who do I call with questions about the application process?
- Please call 817-245-1000. If we are unable to answer your call at that time, please leave a brief message with a call back number and we will return your call as soon as possible. You may also email us with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
What if my student is currently attending the Academy at Nola Dunn and wishes to apply to a different elementary school of choice?
- If a student at the Academy at Nola Dunn wishes to apply to a different elementary school of choice, they will need to apply online for their preferred school of choice.
What if my student is currently attending a BISD school of choice and wishes to stay at that school? Do I need to re-apply?
- Once a student has entered a campus, they do not need to apply to continue to attend that campus. The only time a new application is required is when a current REALM 8th grader applies for the 9th-grade REALM.
Do I need to apply if I wish to attend the elementary school of choice in my Burleson ISD attendance zone?
- No. Students can attend the elementary schools of choice within the attendance zone of their primary residence in Burleson ISD.
Do I need to apply online at this time for my child to attend kindergarten at a Burleson ISD school of choice?
- Yes, Kindergarten students interested in an elementary school of choice MUST also apply online at choice.burlesonisd.net
How will I know if I’ve been accepted to the school of choice?
- Acceptance letters will be sent via email. If the interest in a program exceeds the number of seats designated for choice for a campus, a wait list will be created.
- Academy at Nola Dunn, Academy of Arts at Bransom Elementary, Academy of Leadership and Technology at Mound Elementary, and STEAM Academy at Stribling Elementary will be notified by email around March 22, 2019.
- STEAM and REALM (grades 6-8) – Students/Parents will be notified by email no later than March 1, 2019.
- BCHS – Students/Parents will be notified by mail in early March 2019.
- REALM (grade 9) – Students/Parents will be notified in early April 2019.
Will I receive confirmation that my application has been received?
- Yes, you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please check your spam folder. If you still do not find an email, contact the Data Services Department at 817-245-1009 for assistance.
Can I make changes to my application once it’s been submitted?
- Yes, changes to the application can be made using the login and password created up until the closing of the application process.
I live in BISD’s attendance zone, but my child is currently enrolled in a private school. May I apply for him/her to attend a school of choice?
- Yes, all students living in the BISD attendance zone may apply. We will verify the addresses with the information submitted. Students who are accepted will then need to formally enroll in BISD at their school of choice, which includes verification of residency.
How can I get technical assistance with an application?
- For Tech Support, call 817-245-1011. Assistance available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Currently, the district offers: